fall festivities 2023
Saturday September 2nd through Saturday November 11th
To stay up to date on all of our seasonal offerings and fun, this is the page to read. Sometimes we don’t have an exact landing date, however, we welcome you to call the Farm Store and ask an associate for up-to-the-day availability.
FALL FUN & FOOD TRUCKS
- PONY RIDES – Brought to you by Project HNG our sister nonprofit! Proceeds go to Project HNG. Suitable for young children, supervision and helmets provided. If you’re interested in riding lessons or trail rides please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Availability: every Saturday & Sunday starting September 2nd through November 11th. 11am-3pm. May be cancelled due to tremendous weather conditions.
- HAYRIDES – Brought to you by Project HNG our sister nonprofit! Proceeds go to Project HNG. Suitable for all ages, babies in arms are free, 16 people per ride.
- Availability: every Saturday & Sunday starting September 2nd through November 11th. 11am-4pm, last ride goes out at 3:30pm. May be cancelled due to tremendous weather conditions.
- STATIONARY FUN – Creekside play area has a treehouse and wee slide ➤ The Big Barn has our Sound Silo full of instruments to play on and make noise, trikes on the trike track around a REAL tractor and cornhole boards(ask the staff for bags) ➤ On the grassy slope behind the Big Barn we’ve got our famous and fast culvert tunnel slides for all ages, hammocks on the hill and tetherball!
- Availability: All stationary fun is available every day during business hours of 10-5, starting September 2nd, through the rest of the season.
- ANIMALS TO SEE – We will have a brooder house full of chicks in various ages and stages all season, there will typically be mama pigs and piglets in agritourism pens on the hill, more rarely there will be grazing cattle in a nearby field. Our LIVE bee observatory is in our History Barn, brought to you by Haw Creek Honey’s beekeeper!
- Availability: Inquire with the store staff on what you can see that day!
FOOD TRUCK SCHEDULE
- 10/7 Sat 11-4 Fern Leaf CCS Food Truck
- 10/14 Sat 11-4 Milk & Honey Food Truck
- 10/15 Sun 11-4 El Bodegon Food Truck
- 10/22 Sun 11-4 El Bodegon Food Truck
- 10/29 Sun 11-4 *Big Barn Market* Grush’s Cajun Dino Grill Food Truck
- 11/4 Sat 11-4 Fern Leaf CCS Food Truck
- 11/11 Sat 11-4 *5th Annual Sausage Festival* Kinfolk Food Truck – they will be serving HNG sausages and hot dogs on their menu!
- BARN DANCE
- Iliana Rose’s Cuban Jazz Trio – 9/23 6pm-9pm, Barn Door Ciderworks & Dirty Gertie’s Taco Truck, get your tickets here!
- ASAP FARM TOURS
- BIG BARN MARKET – Autumnal Edition
- 9/24 11am-4pm, Barn Door Ciderworks & Root Down Farm Food Truck
- BARN DANCE – Old Charlotte Highwaymen
- 10/21 6pm-9pm, Barn Door Ciderworks & Root Down Farm Food Truck, get your tickets here!
- BIG BARN MARKET – Halloween Fun
- 10/29 11am-4pm, little ones wear your costume and collect treats! Barn Door Ciderworks & Grush’s Cajun Dino Grill Food Truck
- 5TH ANNUAL SAUSAGE FESTIVAL
- 11/11 11am-4pm, Das OomPapas of Marion, NC coming with the polka, Hillman Brewing is our featured brewer, Blunt Pretzels, Lusty Monk Mustard & our beloved Fermenti Krauts- all perfect pairings for HNG Sausages. Tickets TBA!
- FALL STARGAZING AT THE FARM
- 11/17, 7:30pm-8:45pm Stephan Martin, astronomer and author, will be talking the cosmos and mythology, for a beautiful starry evening out in the Pasture. The Leonids meteor shower should be happening around this time, so bring your blanket, grab a beer from the farm store and look up! Get your tickets here!
FALL SEASONAL OFFERINGS
- TURKEYS – Every year for the fall season we Pasture Raise turkeys here in Fairview for our local folks. This year you can either reserve one for your holiday feast, pick one up in the Farm Store now through the end of November, or ship one to your far flung friends and loved ones.
- APPLES – Our partners in Edneyville, NC, Lyda Farms, bring some of the best in the region. Local and low spray, folks come every year to get the best of fall in NC by the bag to bake, stew, butter, sauce and of course, crunch into while sitting on the farm.
- Availability: Apples are for sale at the Farm Store now, they will typically run out Mid to late October.
- FRESH PRESSED CIDER – We press fresh apple cider every year, comprised of our historical orchard apples on the Old Sherrill’s Inn property and apples from our partner Lyda Farms. This is a raw, unpasteurized product – delicious and changeable as the season, no added sugar or seasonings.
- Availability: 1st pressing September 13th, bottled cider will be in the store for purchase September 14th!
- JACKOLANTERN PUMPKINS – We work with several WNC veggie farmers in the area, including Hawkins Farms. We’ll have pumpkins arranged all around the Farm Store to display their beauty AND make sure you get *just the right one*. The seeds are dynamite when roasted, too…
- Availability: Coming Mid-September, they will typically run out by end of October so make sure you get yours!
- EDIBLE SQUASH & DECORATIVE GOURDS – From Mr. Anthony Cole’s farms, we have some long-lasting festive gourds to decoarate for the season, and a broad variety of edible squashes and pumpkins perfect for pies, soups and pasta.
- Availability: Coming Mid-September.
Do you have more questions, suggestions or love to share? Email Store Manager & Events coordinator Megan.Auten@hickorynutgap.com.