IMPORTANT DETAILS ABOUT SHIPPING A WHOLE TURKEY TO YOUR DOOR: Your bird will be shipped fully frozen, having been flash frozen immediately upon processing. We will ship in an insulated box with 5 pounds of dry ice and we only ship within a 2-day radius via Fedex Ground. When you receive your bird, it may be partially thawed. You can either finish the process and enjoy immediately, or re-freeze until 2 days from when you wish to prepare it. Either way, the quality and taste should remain exceptional.
A NOTE ABOUT TURKEY WEIGHTS: Our farmers work very hard every year to make precise projections for the weight ranges available in our flock, so your chosen range is an approximate. We have chosen a smaller weight range to ensure safe and dependable shipping and temperature conditions- if you need more turkey, buy 2 and cut down on your traditional cooking time!
JUST IN CASE YOU NEED HELP IN THE KITCHEN
TURKEY BRINING INSTRUCTIONS
Yield: This produces 1 gallon, which should be adequate to submerge a smaller bird up to 12 pounds. For a larger bird up to 20 pounds, double the entire recipe water included.
1/3 cup kosher salt
½ cup granulated sugar or brown sugar
Small handful of aromatics(garlic cloves, thyme sprigs, whole peppercorns, bay leaves, lemon or orange zest)
- Remove giblets and neck from inside the bird, rinse bird, pat dry.
- Combine salt, sugar, aromatics and ½ gallon((8 cups) of water in a large pot and place over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring to dissolve salt and sugar.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Stir an additional ½ gallon of cold water(or water and ice) and cool completely.
- Pour brine into a container just large enough to hold a turkey comfortably.
- Add turkey; add a little more water or ice to submerge it if necessary.
- Turn bird a few times and then leave breast-side down in the water; place a heavy plate over the bird if it floats.
- Chill overnight, up to 2 days.
- Remove bird from brine, and rinse thoroughly. Discard brine and roast or smoke as directed (standard roasting instructions below if needed).
TURKEY COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
- If you are choosing not to brine, remove giblets and neck from inside the bird, rinse bird, pat dry and season as desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Cover loosely with foil and cook approximately 15 minutes per lb.
- Baste with pan juices every 30 minutes.
- Remove foil for the last 30 minutes to brown the skin.
- Check internal temperature, it should reach 165 degrees F or until the juices from the thigh run clear.
- Remove from the oven, loosely tent with foil and let the turkey rest 15-20 minutes before carving.