Corned Beef Stew
- 2 to 2 1/2 pound Corned-Beef Brisket
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2-pound diced carrots, approximately 4 small
- 1/2-pound diced onions, approximately 2 small
- 1-pound potatoes, peeled and chopped, approximately 3 medium
- 1/4-pound diced celery, approximately 2 stalks
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped, approximately 2 pounds.
Let’s Get Cooking
- Rinse Corned Beef very well.
- Place the corned beef, pepper, allspice, bay leaves into a large 8-quart pot along with 3-quarts of water. Cover and set over high heat. Bring to a boil, decrease the heat to low and cook, at a low simmer for 2 1/2 hours. (could take 3-3.5 hours depending on the size of your brisket).
- After 2 1/2 hours add the carrots, onions, potatoes and celery. Return to a simmer and cook uncovered for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, add the cabbage and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes and cabbage are tender. Taste veggies for salt and season with a touch of salt if needed. Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately.